Friday, July 14, 2017

Book Beginnings - 7/14/2017

 
*Please join Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.  *Taken directly from Rose City Reader's Blog Page. 
 ***************
My book beginnings is taken from THE BOOKSHOP AT WATER'S END by Patti Callahan Henry:

 
"We are defined by the moods and whims of a wild tidal river surrounding our small town, cradling us in its curved basin.  We don't shape it; it shapes us.  The gray-blue water brings us what it will and only when it desires.  One sweltering, languid afternoon as I shelved dusty paperbacks, I looked up to see a ghost."
********** 
Books Finished:

THE ALMOST SISTERS by Joshilyn Jackson - review is in the book's title.
 
 **********
HELLO SUNSHINE by Laura Dave - review is in the book's title - finished June 18.

 **********
EMMA IN THE NIGHT by Wendy Walker.


A disturbing, psychological thriller.  Review will be on August 8.
 **********
THE COTTINGLEY SECRET by Hazel Gaynor


Review will be on August 1.  A lovely read based on a true event.
**********
THE WILDLING SISTERS by Even Chase 

Review will be on July 26.
**********
THE CHILD by Fiona Barton

Review will be on July 20.

******************

19 comments:

  1. The Bookshop at Water's End is a great summer read.

    Thanks for stopping, everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It is good.

      Thanks for stopping, Mystica.

      Delete
  3. I loved The Bookshop at Water's End...and The Wildling Sisters. I am currently enjoying The Child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bookshop is an endearing read for me.

      Loved The Wildling Sisters.

      I knew you would like The Child. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Laurel.

      Delete
  4. Hi Elizabeth,

    I love the cover art of this book and those opening words have taken me in completely.

    This will be a great book to have in reserve for when all my thrillers are finished!!

    'The Child' and 'Emma In The Night', also come well recommended, so you had some excellent choices in your pile just recently.

    Thanks for sharing nd enjoy your weekend :)

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a lot of thrillers as you can see, and this book is a nice change of pace. I needed it.

      Emma in the Night was good but a bit disturbing learning about narcissism.

      Thanks for stopping, Yvonne.

      Delete
  5. The Cottingley Secret sounds like it'd be a good one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a bit for me, but it was a good read. I always love Hazel Gaynor's books.

      Thanks for stopping, Lauren.

      Delete
  6. The Book Shop at Water's End looks like a great summer read. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying it. My first book by this author. Lovely characters and lovely setting.

      Thanks for stopping, Whitney.

      Delete
  7. Elizabeth,, I like the descriptive beginning. This sounds very enticing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very good, Suko.

      I am just about done with it. This is the first book I have read by this author.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete
  8. Ah! I can't wait to see what you thought about The Child!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Child had a slow start, but the ending was great.

      Thanks for stopping, Erica.

      Delete
  9. All of the ones you mention are on my TBR and I'm really looking forward to The Bookshop at the Water's End. It sounds like such a lovely read. I like the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bookshop was a very lovey read.

      Thanks for stopping, Katherine.

      Delete
  10. Been away from Book Blogs for a while. But slowly coming back. Thanks for the intro to The Bookshop at Water's End. It's been on my radar for a bit. I will search it out. Liked your other recommendations too. Hope to post again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back, grammajudyb.

      The Bookshop was wonderful. I hope you get to read it.

      Thanks for stopping.

      Delete