Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Hush, Hush by Laura Lippman


Did she or didn't she?

Melisandre was found not guilty, but was the charge of insanity the correct charge?  How could anyone not be guilty of forgetting her child in a hot car?

After the trial, Melisandre left the country and lost custody of her other two children.

Melisandre returned years later, but when another murder occurred and she was present, she wasn't going to be going anywhere.​

The characters in HUSH, HUSH were an interesting mix and most were not likable.  Melisandre was evil and manipulative, and her ex-husband wasn't a nice person. The girls, Alanna and Ruby, were ok.  They were confused and were the way they were because of their crazy mother and their sneaky father.

HUSH, HUSH was set up in an interesting way. The book started​ out with an interview and had several throughout the book with people who knew Melisandre because Melisandre wanted to make a documentary about when she met her estranged daughters.  I didn't understand what the documentary was going to prove or the purpose of it.   HUSH, HUSH then went back and forth between Melisandre and Tess's life and actually all over the place.

 
​HUSH, HUSH was difficult for me to follow.  Not sure if it was the way it was set up or just the storyline.  I also couldn't keep the characters straight
.  It did get a bit better toward the end but was still confusing even though the ending pages wrapped it all up.

​I was disappointed because I always enjoy Ms. Lippman's books. 3/5


This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher in return for an honest review. 



18 comments:

  1. Too bad, I usually like her books, too. I wonder if Melisandre was crazy and bad based on the character with the same name from Game of Thrones? Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure. I didn't read Game of Thrones.

      Thanks for stopping, Elizabeth

      I usually like her books too.

      Delete
  2. Every time I read Melisandra, I kept thinking Maleficent - from Sleeping Beauty. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...for sure. She was like a Maleficient. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Kay.

      Delete
  3. Sorry this didn't work for you. I've really enjoyed Lippman's work in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like her books.

      Thanks for stopping, Kathy.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your honest review, Elizabeth. The premise of this book is so sad. I haven't read any books by Laura Lippman yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a great author. As you see I was disappointed.

      Thanks for stopping, Suko.

      Delete
  5. While I really want to try Lippman the premise doesn't grab me very much on this one. Also, with you not loving it as much as her others I think it'd be best to try a different one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katherine.

      Her books are usually so good.

      Thanks for stopping, Katherine. Let me know which book you do read.

      Delete
  6. I was wondering about this book, and didn't realize it was a sequel of sorts. I think it would be hard to follow, too, with a documentary within a story. Thanks for your thoughtful review! I always enjoying reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even know it was a sequel. :)

      Thanks for stopping, Books in the Burbs.

      Thanks also for saying you enjoy reading my posts. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  7. I have a few more books in the Tess Monaghan series before I get to this one, BUT YIKES! I guess sometimes in a series, the author gets tired of the story-line and can't pull off another good one? Even tho we love the characters. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was disappointed.

      Thanks for stopping, Debbie.

      I always like her books.

      Delete
  8. Hmm as I have only read the first Tess Laura Lippman book I have a long way to go before reaching this one - if ever. If you couldn't keep track of the characters, I doubt very much I could.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have liked some of her books and others not so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here.

      I was expecting this to be a winner. Love the cover.

      Thanks for stopping, Sheila.

      Delete