Thursday, January 30, 2014

Hunting Shadows by Charles Todd

Hamish and Rutledge are back again solving two seemingly unrelated murders in two different small towns.

Ian Rutledge is working on finding a "shadowy" figure who shoots to kill and then disappears without a trace.  Rutledge has a difficult time finding clues and connections that would lead to the murderer's identification.
 

The first shooting was at a wedding and the second at a political rally.  No one seems to be able to understand how the two are related nor the reason for the murders.

HUNTING SHADOWS is another great read by Charles Todd; in fact, HUNTING SHADOWS is my favorite of his mysteries, and I have read a number of his books.
 

Sometimes his murders get too tied up with the war, but HUNTING SHADOWS seems more geared to the people in the story and the plot.  So if you didn't like some of his other books, this one is different, so give it a try.

I always enjoy Mr. Todd's mysteries mostly because of the time period and the twists and turns that ultimately occur.
 
Rutledge and Hamish are always characters that keep you on your toes. The other characters in HUNTING SHADOWS who perfectly portray the way of life at that time in history will keep your interest.

If you enjoy a murder mystery at its best along with wonderful description and imagery, don't miss Todd's newest Ian Rutledge mystery. 4/5

This book was given to me free of charge by the publisher in return for an honest review.


8 comments:

  1. I hope you give it a try.

    THANKS for stopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy this series and this one is definitely on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elizabeth,

    It sounds as though you really enjoyed this one, once you got into it.

    I have never read any Charles Todd books, although the author's name is on my reading list, after being recommended by so many fellow bloggers.

    I see that the Ian Rutledge series has been written over a period of almost 20 years, so I am wondering if I really should go right back to the beginning of the series, or if the stories work well as stand alones, if the reader knows nothing about the main characters ... What would you say?

    I see that Charles Todd has also started another series, also set in the early 1900's, only this time with a female protagonist, Beth Crawford. This series has only been running for five years or so, so I might start out here first as the writing will be a little less dated and the character easier to connect with.

    A nice review, as always, even handed and informative.

    Have a good weekend,

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can start anywhere, Yvonne.

    The only tricky character is Hamish. He is a voice in Rutledge's head from the war.

    I like the Ian Rutledge books better than the Bess Crawford ones, though.

    Yes...this book was better for me because it was more geared to characters and not as much about war as I commented in my review.

    Give his books a try.

    THANKS for stopping, Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANKS for stopping, Irene.

    He is quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dorothy...thanks for stopping.

    You will like the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Elizabeth,

    I shall definitely try and get to read some of the Ian Rutledge series, although I may also take a look at Beth Crawford as well.

    It is so good to find a series that you can simply step into, without too much difficulty, especially for such a confirmed non series reader as myself!

    Thanks for taking the time to reply to my comment, I appreciate your thoughtfulness,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete